The idealist temperament makes up about 15 to 20 percent of the population. According to psychologist David Keirsey, this temperament includes the Myers-Briggs personality types INFJ, INFP, ENFJ, and ENFP. Idealists are passionately concerned with self-growth, yearn to help others, and dream of making the world a better place. Below are some of the characteristics that make being a dreamer in a world of practicality a constant struggle.
1. You’re never completely content with how things are.
Whether it’s your job, your relationship, or what you had for dinner, being a future-oriented perfectionist means you’re constantly thinking about how to make things better.
2. You find it extremely difficult to live in the moment.
You envy your friends who can seemingly act without any regard to future consequences since that’s basically all you ever think about.
3. People rarely seem to take you seriously.
Idealism is often a trait associated with being young and naive. Having to constantly prove your intelligence to people is incredibly frustrating.
4. You can spot a fake person a mile away.
Idealist value authenticity above all else and were pretty good at trusting our intuition when the fake radar goes off. Basically, we don’t do well with frenemies… Or used car salesmen.
5. You’re often accused of being too sensitive or overly emotional.
We just have a lot of feelings, you know?
6. You find it difficult to watch or read the news.
Since you are so sensitive to the feelings of others, seeing bad news is hard. But you’re also interested in what’s going on in the world since it’s your job to make it better. Which basically means you’re always upset about something.
7. You have extremely high standards.
You’re not pretentious, you just see so much potential.
8. You love to escape into the world of fiction.
So what if you’ve read the Harry Potter series 5 times already? Fantasy is so much better than the real world.
9. You find it nearly impossible to make a living in what you’re really interested in.
Turning your interest in abstract concepts into a practical career isn’t easy.
10. You have more thoughts before 9 AM than most people have in a day.
Because your mind is the internal equivalent of the Civil War.